The GMA Annual Meeting will be Sat. 10/21/17, at Camp Greenwood.
“Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? ...to give drink to my chosen people…” Isaiah 43:19
FUTURE STATEMENT: GOALS FOR CAMP GREENWOOD
- to become a base for a growing organization to use a futuristic approach to create more Christian disciples by strengthening the faith of existing disciples, encouraging disadvantaged youth and teaching Christian environmental stewardship
- to continue to be based on Presbyterian theology
- to include other Christian denominations
- to include “unchurched” peoples
- to develop beneficial partnerships with churches from Greenville and the Grand Rapids area for youth activities
- to develop a covenant agreement to remain friends with and colleagues of Presbytery of Lake Michigan
- to develop year-round programming services for groups advancing Christian discipleship
- to develop year-round programming services for disadvantaged youth
- to offer worship experiences beyond contemporary to incorporate Christian meditation, yoga, running and other exercise programs
- to provide opportunities to engage aging Christians to serve neighborhoods
- to provide opportunities for the aging for spiritual growth
- to develop environmental education programs using the theology of Christian stewardship of the earth through better understanding of calculating carbon footprints, identifying lifecycle costs of purchasing options, reducing waste at points of purchase and recycling, identifying environmentally responsible businesses and utilizing local sustainable food systems.
Barbara J. Tornholm President
In addition to Greenwood Ministries, Barbara is an Elder in the First Presbyterian Church of Mason, Michigan, the President of the Mason Area Historical Society, and the Secretary/Treasurer of the Mason Farmers Market Association. A retired executive for the State of Michigan and a U.S. Navy Veteran, she has formerly served as Moderator for the Presbytery of Lake Michigan’s Greenwood Agency and as Mason City Council Member and Planning Commission Chairman. Barbara holds a B.S. and M.A. from Michigan State University.
Karen Fitz La Barge Treasurer
Karen serves as Pastor of the North Kent Presbyterian Church in Rockford, Michigan. Previously, she was Solo Pastor at the First Presbyterian Church of Allegan from 2010 until 2016. Prior to that she was the Minister of Lifelong Learning at Central Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, the Interim Youth Director at First Presbyterian Church in Holland, the Executive Director of WITNESS, a nonprofit at Hope College, and the substitute Chaplain and Worship Leader at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services. Karen has worked for the American Red Cross and is on the Board of Directors for Machine Guard & Cover Co. of Holland, Michigan, a family-owned plastic thermoforming business. She has a long list of other service to the Presbytery, particularly at Camp Greenwood. To get a more complete picture of Karen, visit her website at http://thoughtfulboldness.com.
Jacob Dayringer Secretary
Jacob has been involved with Camp Greenwood since 2012 as a counselor, program director, and agency member. He is a graduate of Alma College and is currently working for the Gratiot‑Isabella Regional Education Services District in Ithaca, Michigan in its Tech Department. Jacob is captivated by the ways in which God uses a place as beautiful as Camp Greenwood to do God's work.
Suzanne Bates Westminster Greenwood Partnership
Suzanne Getz Bates is the Executive Director of Camp Westminster on Higgins Lake and Camp Greenwood. She is a graduate of The College of Wooster and Western Carolina University with degrees in psychology and education. She has served as program and site consultant at several Presbyterian camps and as president of the Presbyterian Church Camp and Conference Associates (PCCCA). She represented the Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) on the National Council of Churches Committee on Outdoor Ministry, as part of the writing team that develops the interfaith curriculum for camp and conference ministries. Suzanne loves to be with her family, travel, read, weave and be outdoors.
Jim Bates Westminster Greenwood Partnership
Jim Bates is responsible for making it possible for youngsters of all ages to have a fabulous Camp Westminster or Camp Greenwood experience! His education includes a BA in economics from The College of Wooster and an MA Ed from Western Carolina University. He has served as the director of several Presbyterian camp and conference centers around the nation. When he is not writing a grant or searching for the best deal on a new piece of camp equipment, he enjoys playing the bagpipes, churning ice cream, traveling, reading the sports section and spending time with his family!
- GMA Proposal to the Presbytery of Lake Michigan, Overview
- Alma College Support Letter
- Amended GMA Articles of Incorporation
- Articles of Incorporation
- Band Camp Support Letter
- Brian Frick Letter
- Camp Greenwood 5-Year Budget Comments Final
- Camp Westminster Letter of Support
- Camper Fee Average Survey List
- Church Mutual Insurance Quote
- Covenant Agreement between Camp Westminster and Greenwood Ministries Association
- Covenant Relationship between the Presbytery of Lake Michigan and Greenwood Ministries Association
- Draft Covenant with PLM.9.16.16
- Drive Time to Camp Report
- Environment and Species Letter
- Facility Project List
- 5-Year Line-By-Line Budget Narrative Final
- GMA Charitable Solicitations Application
- GMA 501(c)(3)
- GMA Bylaws
- Greenwood Alumni Letter
- Greenwood Five-Year Financial Plan
- Lake Association Support Letter
- Liability for Leasing Camp Email Church Mutual
- Presbyterian Research on Camps & Spiritual Growth
- Run River Consultant Observations
- Why is Greenwood Unique?